We often daydream about how different life might be if we had the chance to start over again. Perhaps we would have chosen a different career, or put our time and energy into a few different things. There are many life lessons we can absorb from life right now if we pay attention.
We can actively choose to live the remainder of our lives feeling passionate, joyous, and fulfilled!
1. It is absolutely impossible to please everyone.
- Even if you are the kindest, smartest, funniest person to ever walk the planet, someone will not like you.
- There is no way to make everyone happy.
- Solutions: Do what you can to please others while making yourself happy.
- See: The Art of Being True to Yourself
2. Not everyone cares.
- Sure, your friends and family care to a point.
- Most other people are too preoccupied getting through their own lives to worry about your successes and failures.
- Feel free to test your limits, make a few mistakes and be silly once in a while.
3. Health matters.
- The older you become, the more important your health will be to you.
- Health only seems important to us when it is failing.
- After you develop a few aches and pains that refuse to go away for good, you begin to realize that your body will eventually fail you.
- Get a head start and begin taking care of yourself today.
4. There are a limited number of tomorrows.
- We all have a tendency to put many things off until tomorrow, Monday, or next year, or some day.
- Time is passing by.
- You do not know how many more tomorrows you have yet to enjoy.
- Get busy making the most of them.
5. Apologize quickly.
- Life is too short for petty disagreements and grudges.
- Choose to be the bigger person and apologize.
6. We can change.
- We can change our weight, income, social life, career, and just about anything else we put our minds to.
- Our limitations exist primarily in our minds.
- See: Limited Only By Our Imaginations
7. Television will steal your life.
- Television is a big, sucking, black hole.
- No one ever improved their existence via the power of TV.
- It is a highly effective way to distract yourself, but it solves nothing.
- Check out: See Life Differently Without Your Television Habit
8. You will regret the things you did not try more than the things you did.
- When we look back at most of our our foolish choices, we laugh.
- When we look back on the things we did not do, we often feel a sting that never goes away.
- If the risk is not life-threatening, take your best shot.
- See: Hanging In and Letting Go
9. Money will not solve every problem.
- Money is great for solving certain challenges, but it is not a cure for everything.
- Some people say that having money solves nothing, that love is all that matters. But love will not pay the mortgage, feed your family, or repair a flat tire.
- Money is a necessary part of life, but it will not solve all your problems.
- Money and love are both necessary, just not for the same things.
10. Climbing the ladder of success matters less as you get older.
- Your level of success will matter less at the end of your life.
- Up until middle age, we put a great deal of emphasis on our careers.
- It is often only later in life that we begin to realize there were other things more worthy of our time and attention.
Consider these lessons to be a message from your older self to your current self. It is always possible to make use of wisdom you have not gained through experience yet.
As you mentor others and speak good things into their lives, why not do the same for yourself?
Take advantage to the opportunity to live now like the wise person you will one day become!
For more information see MartinaMcGowan.com