Do you know that your home can have a great impact on your frame of mind? For example, dark rooms tend to make you feel sad and discouraged. Bright, cheery rooms can help you feel rejuvenated. However, there are many things you can do besides repainting your walls to brighten your home and lighten your mood.
Try these Simple Strategies:
1. Bring in more light.
- Light is one of the easiest ways to boost your mood.
- Increase the amount of light in a room by opening blinds and curtains.
- White blinds and curtains also reflect light.
2. Choose bright and cheerful paint colors.
- You may be creating drama with dark brown or black paint, but it probably will not help your mood.
- Choosing dark colors is not the only issue because neutrals can be dreary as well.
- Brighter colors like yellow, pink, blue, and green may help freshen up a room and give it an instant lift.
- Your mood will also benefit from the change.
3. Add some happy artwork.
- Edvard Munch’s “The Scream” is not quite the type of artwork that helps lift moods.
- Select art that makes you feel happy.
- Images of beautiful landscapes, animals, and abstract designs are popular choices.
- You can also frame your children’s artwork as a reminder of the joy they bring into your life.
4. Get some flowers.
- Fresh flowers are preferred and will also add a nice fragrance to a room.
- However, they are not the only option. Silk flowers come in a variety of realistic choices and can instantly brighten a room.
5. Rearrange or replace decorations.
- Does the vase from your aunt make you want to cry?
- Do you wish your decorations could get an upgrade?
- Changing the decorations in your home can help you lift your mood.
- Replace old and disliked, or disappointing objects, or rearrange some of the items.
- Even a simple pillow swap for new pillows can make you feel better.
- Clutter weighs you down emotionally and negatively influence your mood, even if you think you do not notice it.
- If you clean your house and eliminate some of the clutter, you will notice a big emotional change.
- If you have items you simply cannot part with, consider new storage ideas, such as bins under your bed, to prevent clutter from reappearing.
7. Work with fragrance.
- If you do not have allergies, then you can use fragrance for a positive change.
- Essential oils are one way to brighten your mood and modify the ambience in a room.
- Citrus oils like grapefruit and orange are linked to happier moods.
- Mint oils, such as peppermint, also have a similar effect.
- You can spray a small amount of the essential oils in the air to create a lasting impact.
- You can also add oils to a burner for another way to add fragrance.
- There are a few incense fragrances that really brighten my mood. I usually burn these in a spot that will diffuse throughout the house.
8. Add more pictures of family and friends.
- Art is great, but, if seeing an image of your loved ones instantly makes you smile, then consider adding more of their pictures to your home.
- The refrigerator and fireplace mantel are not the only locations you can display pictures of your friends and family.
- You can add their photos to the walls, coffee tables, and side tables.
9. Take Out a Wall.
- If a wall is preventing one of the rooms from getting adequate light, then removing it can help you feel better.
Uplift your mood by making simple changes around your home.
You will notice a difference in how you feel almost immediately.
Always try to be joyful and proactively benign to the people.
By doing so everyday,
people have no control at all over my mood.
For more information see MartinaMcGowan.com