If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint
and that voice will be silenced.
As unbelievable as it sounds, It is actually normal for many people to doubt themselves. So if you have feelings of self-doubt, you are in very good company! Doubting yourself creates a host of unfavorable scenarios and prevents you from living up to your full potential. It holds you back. Many opportunities pass you by because you feel like you are lacking in some way.
Self-doubt is especially prevalent in the presence of peers. It is easy for others on your level academically or professionally to challenge your self-belief – just by being present! You may feel like they are way ahead of you, even though you are really on the same level. It is important to realize that you are just as deserving as anyone else.
Here are a few concepts to keep in mind that will help you feel more confident in the presence of peers:
1. YOU did the work. Take a moment and remind yourself about how much work you have done and how much effort it has taken to get to where you are.
- Whether it is getting through school or putting in years as a junior staff member, you have done it yourself. You have worked your way to the top. Think back to all of the obstacles you had to overcome to reach where you are today.
- NO, it was not easy, but it was worth it. And that is why you are worth every success that comes your way! Avoid shortchanging the work that you have put in.
2. You have been validated. The people at the top have validated you. They have told you that the work you put in qualifies you for your current status. Why are you questioning that?
- If you have a college degree, then the experts in your area of study have confirmed that you are knowledgeable in your field. Your degree shows that you are good at what you do, and you can walk through life with confidence.
- Perhaps you received a promotion at work. Your boss acknowledged the quality of your work and rewarded you. Embrace the opportunity!
3. Your track record speaks for itself. Look back and assess the path that you have taken and the successes you have had along the way. You probably have an impressive track record. Now if only you could see it!
- Consider how many people after you may benefit from your achievements. That is not something to take lightly! You are a game-changer, even if you do not realize it.
4. You are deserving of goodness. That spotlight is just as much yours as it is anyone else’s. We are all created equal from the perspective of human existence. So embrace all of the good things that are yours.
- Use some of the time you spend praising others to praise yourself!
- Avoid feeling guilty about speaking up for yourself. Your voice ought to be heard. You are validated by your experience, expertise, and education. Have self-confidence and shine.
Today’s the day! Open your window and toss self-doubt out of your life. You will realize how quickly new opportunities present themselves when you make room for them. Take control and show your peers that you are just as worthy as they.
For more information, see www.MartinaMcGowan.com.