Your family can strengthen its bond and grow closer by putting some simple routines in place. These activities are easy to incorporate into your family life and can be adjusted to fit your needs.
Routines and rituals like these can help your family connect on a daily basis:
1. Find simple things to do together that don’t take much time.
- It is not an easy thing to find time to spend together as a family, but you can create routines that help.
- Look at your schedule and find a short time to add simple rituals to the day when you are together.
- For example, you could pray or sing a song together right before bed.
- Perhaps each family member would enjoy contributing a joke during dinner.
2. Eat breakfast together.
- The morning can be a hectic time for families as everyone tries to get ready for school or work. However, breakfast is an easy opportunity to eat together.
- It may be tempting to let everyone grab a quick meal or drink and rush out of the house in the morning. But, you are missing out on an opportunity to spend time together as a family and create a simple routine.
- Breakfast does not have to become a complicated ordeal. You can prepare easy items such as bagels or cereal. By having these items available before your family wakes up, you can encourage them to eat together.
- You may have to adjust the family’s schedule for this routine, but you will be creating important memories.
3. Make lunch box notes.
- Simple rituals such as lunch box notes for each member of the family can help you bond.
- Children and adults alike can benefit from the sweet notes in their lunches. Use small note cards or sticky notes and write an encouraging message for the day.
- You can also draw pictures or include jokes.
- Lunch box notes can become a family tradition that lasts for years to come.
4. Create a secret family handshake.
- Make up a special handshake that only you and your family uses. You will make another important physical connection with your loved one each time you use it.
5. Make movie night special.
- Replicate the feeling of being in a movie theater by getting popcorn, candy, and turning off the lights.
- You can even grab a flashlight and use it to find your way during intermission, or rearrange the furniture and add chairs for a movie theater experience.
- Rotate who chooses the movie every week. This gives both the adults and children the chance to watch their favorites.
- Be sure that each movie is appropriate for the entire family by setting a few guidelines on choosing the movie.
6. Create a pizza and game night.
- The adults can enjoy a break from the stove, and the children will appreciate the chance to eat pizza.
- Pizza and game night can be a fun way to bring your entire family together. You can do this ritual once a week or once a month. Adjust the frequency to fit your schedule.
- Games are a simple way to reconnect with your loved ones, and they can fill an entire evening with laughter.
- My children and I had monopoly tournaments that lasted for weeks. We would put our playing pieces, property cards, and money in “hermetically”-sealed envelopes and mark them with our names for the next time we played. I already have a Monopoly, Jr. game, just waiting for my granddaughter to be old enough to understand the “general” rules.
Help your family bond by creating simple routines and rituals. These routines can quickly become family traditions and create cherished memories that last a lifetime.
For more information, see MartinaMcGowan.com