Hi friends, this is an excerpt called “God Chose Me” from my forthcoming book REFILLS: Sharing Cups of Comfort, Hope, and Truth with Women and the Leaders Who Serve Them, due out in late Spring. If you’re interested in joining the blog tour and getting a free copy, please comment here.
Today you’ll write your “God Chose Me” story. This chosen story describes when you experienced meeting God and saying “Yes! I will follow Jesus Christ, your Son.”
Jesus met the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well. He snagged me at the library. Where did he first meet you?
You may wonder why putting your “God Chose Me” story on paper helps your joy overflow and how to do it. Here are the why and the how.
A life problem–it could be anything–may bump you hard, tempting you to doubt your own salvation. By putting it on paper and dating it, you have a physical reminder that God is with you. You can review this “God Chose Me” story at any time, bubbling up joy in your soul.
1. Decide if you’ll write your story or, if you prefer, draw it. If writing, use several sheets of lined paper or a journal. If drawing, use a plain paper without lines. The size is your choice.
2. Your chosen story has three main parts: before Jesus was your Savior, when Jesus became your Savior, after Jesus became your Savior. Just think: Before, When, After. Pray and ask Jesus what He wants you to say in word or picture. Don’t worry if it’s good enough. Let him take over the process.
3. Write or draw a main thought for each part. Again, ask God for His leading.
Before: I depended on myself alone and felt miserable because I failed over and over. Joy eluded me.
When: God knew what I needed most – Jesus! – so He led me to read a book that told me about finding true joy, and I admitted I was a sinner and asked Jesus to be my Savior.
After: I celebrated in knowing I had eternal life, and God led me to read the New Testament over and over to know him.
4. Now expand on the main thoughts in word or through picture. Again, ask God for his leading in the process.
5. All done? Great. Now place it in a safe place you’ll remember. Some women like to fold it in half and place it in their Bible or Bible cover. Others have a special place with other important papers.
With your “God Chose Me” story on paper, you can experience abundant joy overflowing as you take time to look it and remember that God’s faithfulness and your joy. Delight in knowing God chose you.