We women long to hear these words:
We live in an ugly world with impossible beauty standards. Flawless faces leer at us while we wait in the checkout line.
Blemish-free skin, perfect noses, impeccable makeup. And just below the faces. . .
. . . big bosoms and slender, sculpted bods.
Who can compare? Not me. Not you. No one. Not even super models. Even they are air-brushed.
Still, we desire for someone to tell us: You are beautiful!
And the Survey Says. . .
At a speaking engagement at a church, I surveyed women aged 20 to 60 who attended my workshop “Inside Out Beauty.” The question I posed: What are two things would you change about your looks? They wrote their answers. No names. Complete anonymity.
All but one mentioned weight. No surprise. Many women are on diets of one sort or another. Other responses: blemishes, hairy arms, wrinkles, age spots, eye color, hair color, even “my whole body.”
Ouch! Why are we women so critical of our looks? How can we learn to see ourselves like Jesus does? The answer may surprise you.
What Does Jesus Say?
We learn to see ourselves like Jesus does when we change how we think.
No exercise plans.
No body waxing.
Instead, we allow Jesus to renew our minds — a mind makeover — and learn we are beautiful, inside and out.
This is tough in our image-conscious world, an ugly world that spews lies: You don’t measure up (or down!). . .you’re wrinkled. . .ewww! Cellulite!. . .your bum is too big. . .or too small.
When you feel insecure in this ugly world, believe Jesus, the truth-teller. The Bible reveals God’s five beauty secrets.
5 Beauty Secrets
The secret to true beauty is believing you are who God says you are. Here are five truths about you, tucked in Ephesians, written by the apostle Paul to the believer in Ephesus.
1. Blessed. Those who are in Christ are blessed. In fact, you have every spiritual blessing in Christ right now. Present tense. You have all the blessings now. Yes! You are fully blessed. (Ephesians 1:3)
2. Chosen. God chose you to be in Christ. Before you were conceived, before the world was created, he chose you. You! (Ephesians 1:4)
3. Adopted. You are God’s child through adoption. You belong to Him. Though you may have a rip in your relationship, you will always be His daughter. Always. (Ephesians 1:5)
4. Redeemed. Through Jesus and by the pleasure of God’s will, Jesus paid your sin debt on the Cross. He died, was buried and was raised from the dead for you. You are redeemed. (Ephesians 1:7)
5. Sealed. You are marked by the Holy Spirit, who guarantees your place in heaven. God granted you eternal life. No one can take it away. (Ephesians 1:13)
Wow! You are blessed, chosen, adopted, redeemed and sealed. Can you become more beautiful?
You can cover up a blemish or tone your muscles or reduce the sugar in your diet and drop a few pounds — or 15, like my husband, without trying. Your mirror may reflect a more beautiful image, and you may feel happier. But your enemy will try to steal your happiness.
Stop the Thief!
You have an enemy. Satan. He steals, kills, and destroys. He is the father of lies. He will tempt you to doubt God and believe his lies, like he duped Eve in the Garden.
So next time, he whispers, “You look ugly.”
Say, “That’s a lie. I have true beauty. I have worth. I am secure. God says so. And He tells the truth!”
Friend, if you’d like more comfort, hope, and truth, I invite you to visit my website and download my free ebook “5 Amazing Names God Calls You.” It’s a fast download. Go to www.LucyAnnMoll.com to get the free ebook.